LiFePO4 is a type of lithium-ion battery containing lithium iron phosphate. It was found in 1996 and due to its advantages, it has found its place in many areas.
- The capacity of the battery has little dependence on the load. In case of high current draw, the capacity of the battery remains almost constant.
- It is safe in case of overcharging. It is highly resistant to fire and explosion.
- It is resistant to mechanical impact.
- It's cheap. It can be 20-25% cheaper on average than a lithium-ion battery of the same capacity.
- It offers high cycle life. It can be used for up to 10 years without any maintenance.
- It has a flexible operating temperature range. It is highly resistant to overheating.
The biggest disadvantage of the LiFePO4 battery is that it has less capacity than a lithium-ion battery of the same volume. So the energy density is low.
It is widely used in solar systems due to its resistance to harsh conditions and its long life. LiFePO4 batteries are used in our solar lighting products.